Friday, March 28, 2014

A Kristen Bell Sloth Kind of Happiness

I saw this video a couple years ago but I never forgot it.  Have you ever been this excited about something?  She has the joy and innocence of a child being surprised with their first trip to Disneyland! 

When I was pregnant with my second child, I wanted a girl so bad.  I adored my son (still do), but I wanted the dresses and fairy tales and PINK!  In my impatience, and upon the recommendation of a few friends, I bought a new ‘gender predictor’ test and at twelve weeks I got the results: BOY.  I knew this was our last baby and my hopes were dashed.  Six weeks later we went in for our ultrasound.  I wanted a healthy baby (of course) but I was also distracted by the tiniest flicker of hope I had never quite extinguished. 
The technician went through all the basics and I tried to pay attention.  When she asked if we wanted to know the gender, we said yes. When she said “it’s a girl,” I had a Kristen-Bell-sloth moment.  I started to cry and almost couldn't breathe. I covered my mouth in horrified excitement, looked at my husband and said, “I…but…we…oh [sob].”

I think my meltdown was complete disbelief that my childish dreams--which had seemed as fantastical as fairy tales--appeared to be coming true. I had the perfect family: mother/father, son/daughter, dog.  Coming from a divorced home, my dreams of a real family were fragile and I felt that the tiniest misstep could shatter them. But there was the word I’d dreamed of--the final piece of my puzzle--GIRL.

And now, I often have to remind myself of how much I wanted this; how before she was a stubborn, irrational, tantrum-throwing drama queen, she was my sloth. :)

Have you had a sloth moment?
Or are you still waiting for a fragile dream to become reality?




No comments:

Post a Comment