Wednesday, April 9, 2014

money CAN buy happiness

I think we've all said this to ourselves at one point or another; "I know being rich won't make me happy...but I'd like to learn that lesson for myself."
And you've probably heard the horror stories of lottery winners whose lives were ruined.

Well, Michael Norton (a social science researcher) actually conducted a survey on how a little money impacted the short-term happiness of college students. I found the study incredibly interesting.
View his Ted Talk here.

Turns out, if you get a little bit of money to spend on anything you want, it doesn't really impact you. Or if it did increase your happiness level, it wasn't for long.  However, if you get a little bit of money and you GIVE IT AWAY, you are happier and for a much longer period of time.
And it was noted that the money didn't even have to be spent on anything super meaningful, they attained equal happiness whether they gave a Starbucks gift card or money for a medical procedure...just the process of GIVING brought happiness.

I'd like to test this out. :)
I am going to give away a $20 Starbucks gift card.  The catch?  It's not for you. :)  You will win it but then you get to give it to someone else.
So if you want a chance to find a little extra happiness this week, post a comment below with the name of the intended gift card recipient if you win. Then share this post with all your friends! It's important; their happiness level is at stake!
The winner will then get to write a post about how he/she felt sharing that gift.  Let's see if money really can buy happiness...when it is given away.
I will pick the winner Friday (4/18) at noon.  Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. I want to give it to a total stranger. Just go out and pick a random person who looks like they could really use a pick-me-up. I'll even let you come with me to pick the stranger so that you can see the joy you helped create. Success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to give the gift card to someone who has never heard of Starbucks. It might be hard to find such a person but when I do the confused look on their face will make the journey worth it.

    ReplyDelete